Any accessory involving flowers is a fantastic outfit accompaniment at any time of year. With that said, you’re going to love these fabric flower rings. So you may be raising an eyebrow now in confusion, wondering “what’s a fabric ring?”
A fabric ring has a soft, fabric ring band, unlike the typical metal and plastic bands that are often used for making rings. These types of rings are fun and easy to make, not to mention that they look great too! Fabric rings are also ideal for those who have allergies to different types of metals.
How to Make a Fabric Flower Ring
There are two ways in which you can make fabric rings. I am going to talk you through both. The first is this incredibly fast and easy no-sew method, using just a hair tie and a flower hair clip.
The second involves you having to do some stitching. Both tutorials provide the same results and guarantee you a funky new fashion accessory in minutes!
Tutorial 1: The Simple, No-Sew Option
What you will need:
- Hair tie
- Clip-on flower decoration (usually used as a hair accessory)
Time needed: Less than 5 minutes
- Decide on which finger you want to wear your ring.
- Take your hair tie and place it on your finger. Now wrap the tie around your finger – 1 or 2 times is usually enough, to make it small enough to fit comfortably on your finger. Obviously, most standard hair ties will be way too big to wear on your fingers without folding them over at least once.
- Now that you’ve secured your hair tie on your finger, the hair tie will now serve as the ring band. Take your flower clip and clip it on to the hair tie on your finger. It’s best to pull up one of the wrapped band loops to attach the clip. Clipping the flower onto all of the layers of the tie wrapped around your finger can cause the flower clip to slide off – which you don’t want! And that’s it! How quick and easy was that!?
Tutorial 2: How to Stitch a Fabric Flower Ring
For those of you who are looking for a more permanent option, this method is for you. This second tutorial is different to the first because you’re going to be stitching a flower decoration onto a band of fabric.
What you will need:
- Light fabric that is easy to bend and stitch (the amount needed depends on the total circumference measurement of your finger). Or elasticated fabric is another good option.
- Clip-on flower decoration or a flower decoration without a clip (you will need to stitch this on to the fabric ring band if there is no clip).
- Needle and thread
Time needed: 10 minutes
- Measure the total circumference of the finger on which you wish to wear your fabric ring. Don’t forget to allow a little extra room in order to be able to put on and remove your ring with ease.
- Take the fabric that will be used to create the ring band. Measure the amount of fabric needed for the band of your ring, based on your finger measurement. Cut this amount of fabric to the correct length.
- This piece of cut out fabric should resemble an even strip of material that you can then wrap around your finger, stitch the ends together to create your fabric ring band. But before joining the two ends and sewing them together, you need to sew on the flower. Again, if you have a hair flower clip then this is the easier option. If not, sewing a flower decoration onto your homemade ring band will work well too. Lie your fabric band down flat, find the center point of the fabric, position the flower accessory and then sew into place.
- Now for the final part, you need to stitch together both ends of the fabric that are going to form the ring band. It’s always best to reverse the fabric when sewing so that the stitching doesn’t show on the “good side”. Once you’ve stitched your band together to form a ring shape and have your flower fastened (see step 3 above), your fabric ring is ready to wear!
With this tutorial, you are not limited to use flower accessories of a certain size. Experiment with different colors and sizes. Feel free to make your DIY fabric ring as big or as small as you like. Flower hair accessory clips are easy to come by, which is why I’ve used them in this tutorial.
If you’re not a fan of florals, you may add other pretty decorations instead. Bows and buttons are two excellent alternatives to using flowers for this project! The most important thing is to have fun and produce something creative and wearable!